Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I thought gentrification was when you brought yuppies into a bad neighborhood

Apparently North Avenue market used to be hot stuff. I wasn't alive, but I get the impression that it was like a Lexington or Cross Street Market for midtown Baltimore back in the day. Now, if you know the whole North Avenue corner of the universe, it's the reason that I can't walk any farther north on Charles Street than Tapas Teatro without a taser. Well apparently these developers are now attempting to restore the North Avenue market and transform it into a multi-purpose arts-focused area for shops and restaurants. Their intent is to use this space as a continuation of the Station North arts district.

I, personally, hear the word gentrification thrown all over the place... usually in the context of revitalizing some neighborhood that Hopkins has bought and is slowly developing luxury housing for the young, rich, kind of suburban set to move into the city be chic. Don't get me wrong... I think it's wonderful when new development in the city has an arts focus. It helps to validate my existence as a musician in Baltimore. My cynical mind finds it hard to fathom the transformative powers of an arts venue in the depressed corridor that is North Avenue, however. I really, really hope I'm wrong, though, because if it works, it will be awesome.

Source: Bringing back city landmark [Baltimore Sun]
Further reading: Baltimore's North Avenue Market Past and Present, Maryland Daily Record (login required), Developing Midtown - bthesite.com

No comments: