Sunday, June 15, 2008

Live blogging the Tonys

So I'm watching the Tonys telecast live at The Hippodrome. I'm a bad
musical theatre junkie. It's my drug of choice, but I don't follow it
like some
die-hards. All that to say I didn't watch the show last year.

8:01 pm The Lion King has seriously been on Broadway forever.

8:05 pm Whoopi looks like a crab.

8:08 pm Lawrence Fishburn has gotten fat.

8:10 pm Rhondi Reed = Harvey Fierstein according to Troy.

8:11 pm You know we're in Baltimore when Jon Waters gets the first bit
of applause in this place.

8:23 pm Laura Linney's dress is hot.

8:25 pm Why is a Counting Crow at the Tonys presenting?

8:28 pm Passing Strange = black people w/ English accents.

8:41 pm In the words of Jack from Will & Grace: "Shut UP, Patti
Lupone!" And I need for people to stop thinking she's the Second Coming.

8:46 pm Whoopi singing Phantom saved me from jumping off the ledge.

8:56 pm In the Heights acceptance speech is a rap. And he's talking
about Sondheim and people think he's funny. I'm perplexed.

8:58 pm The South Pacific revival looks like the Oklahoma revival. All
of these "classic Broadway" shows should be put in a vault for
sociological purposes... not brought back and produced.

9:14 pm The Grease set is trippy looking. Was Grease is the Word even
in the musical? The performance was marginally interesting-looking.

9:24 Troy is incensed that Boyd Gaines won his 4th Tony... for Herbie.
These acceptance speeches are too long.

9:26 pm I like how the audience at the Tonys just laughed at Ariel
saying "What do you call them? Oh! Feet!" That was funny 18 years ago
when the movie originally came out. They all know the punchline.

9:30 pm Megan Mullaly isn't doing a good job at convincing me to see
Young Frankenstein.

9:37 pm Whoopi has too many rosettes on her blouse.

9:45 pm The director from August: Osage County is crying. I need her
to stop.

10:00 pm I need this boy from In the Heights to stop assaulting my
ears. Apparently it's good.......? He looks like Bud Bundy. And
there's an urban pas de deux happening in the background.

10:12 pm August: Osage county wins for best play. They've won
everything already, so that gets a big fat yawn from me.

10:14 pm Finally got played off for that never-ending speech.

10:16 pm Sondheim got a lifetime achievement award and couldn't bother
to show up. I think it's because he's already dead. He got Mandy
Patinkin to read his speech for him.

10:21 pm Completely non-plussed by Move On from Sunday in the Park.

10:28 pm South Pacific. Again. Really? I'm ready to go home.

10:30 pm Lily Tomlin came stalking out on stage making sexy eyes at
me. That's definitely the best thing that's happened on the screen in
at least an hour.

10:34 pm Xanadu looks super camp. But at least I laughed out loud.

10:43 pm RENT is so washed up. The original Bway cast is so old.

10:47 pm Why. The. Hell. Did. Someone. Let. Liza. Minelli. On. Stage.
Wearing. Nothing. But. A. Tuxedo. Jacket. .........?

10:52 pm Livid that Patti won for best actress, but at least she
thanked her voice teacher. ...then again, not sure I'd tell people I
taught Patti to sing.

10:54 pm God bless Whoopi for being the comic relief for the night...
39 Whoopis on stage dressed in Chorus Line regalia. Best thing EVER.

10:59 pm That rap musical won best musical. That's kind of anti-
climactic. And that rapping man is standing on people's shoulders.

No comments: