Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Wino Wednesday Back in Business!


Wherein I pretend to know something about wine to justify my affinity for all things alcoholic


Hey there, ladies and gents!

For this installment, I was going to blog all about how last night whilst sitting on the couch and watching the debate with Troy, I took a swig of Yeungling Porter every time McCain addressed the audience and country-at-large as "my friends." I then realized that clearly I'm probably the only one who thinks that's funny.

So instead, I'm going to tell you all how living in Baltimore is so conducive to my love of all things wine. Maryland has some really fun local wineries, and even though none of them can really make a California Pinot, I take a special pride in my city every time I sip a glass of locally-produced wine.

My favorite place to go, Boordy Vineyards, is a hop-skip-jump from Baltimore city. Nestled in the hills in of Baltimore County on a historic farm, Boordy is one of Maryland's oldest wineries. They offer tours and tastings on-site daily and have a stocked wine shop. I love that I can walk into any wine store around the area and pick up a bottle if that's what pleases me.

My favorite Boordy wines are the ones that don't take themselves seriously at all. They call them "Just for Fun" wines, and I give them with reckless abandon as hostess gifts. As the weather is getting cooler, I will undoubtedly pick up a bottle or two of Spiced Wassail every month. This sweet, spiced red wine gets me in the mood for fall-- especially if warmed on the stove with a few cinnamon sticks.

Go here to check out stores in Maryland that carry Boordy wines. And the grounds of the vineyard itself are great to come and visit regardless of where you call home.

6 comments:

Lorrie Veasey said...

I love that you made a drinking game for the debate.

Lorrie Veasey said...

I love that you made a drinking game for the debate.

Sarah Louise said...

Just so you know, you aren't the only one you thinks it is funny that McCain kept saying "my friends" last night. Jay Leno had a nice little joke about it with video clips and stuff :)

I am also slightly jealous of the vineyard you mentioned. I wish we had a good one around here. The husband, some friends and I went to one a few weeks ago and it was pretty lame. However, I can't imagine that Minnesota is a great place to grow grapes.

kristin said...

Okay, so I'm a slacker since I didn't mail out your bloggy box of goodness yet, (hey, I've had a rough week!), but I so know one of the things I'm going to include.

And hey, since I'm shamelessly promoting my future travel schedule to anyone and everyone... I'm taking the kids to DC during April vacation next spring and will be driving home sans Darling Husband and so will try and c=visit as many bloggy friends as possible. It's entirely possible that I will be driving through Baltimore on a Wednesday! (to lamely and loosely tie this comment in to your actual, you know, blog.
:-)

kristin said...

Hey, was Lorrie playing the same drinking game when she posted? ;-)

Downbeat said...

Yes! Let me know if/when you come through Baltimore. I can show you fun places!