Friday, January 9, 2009

Happy Festivus!

No, no, no... not the holiday coined on Seinfeld. In Baltimore, Festivus is the term we use when our beloved Ravens go to the playoffs. Back in 2000, the former-coach-who-shall-not-be-named forbade the team from using the term "playoffs," and instead required them to call the whole she-bang "festivus." When we went to the Super Bowl and won that year, it was "festivus maximus."

We haven't had much to be excited about by way of sports in Baltimore for years. The Orioles are the worst team in baseball, and the Ravens have had a few rough seasons. But now, we have a rookie head coach and quarterback, and we're making strides. We're taking on the Tennessee Titans tomorrow for the AFC Division Championships. So you know what I just had to get to celebrate?



That's right, I decided to show off my Flacco pride. For those Ravens fans interested in a "Joe the Quarterback" t-shirt, they're available at Baltimore Sports & Novelty in Owings Mills off of Reisterstown Rd.

And you never knew that Downbeats was a football fan, did you? Happy Festivus to one and all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Ravens!

rachaelgking said...

When he has his helmut on, my bf and Joe Flaco look a lot alike. (Basically, around the eyes.) Mine's cuter though... I just wish he made Joe's millions!

Katie said...

I am so glad you explained Festivus. I was confused and, I think, offending people when I used it in the wrong context...