Friday, January 2, 2009

Same old stuff, whole new year

Do you remember how every year when you were a kid, grownups would ask you if you felt any different on your birthday? And you never did, did you? I know I didn't. I would strain, trying to force a feeling of something that distinguished this day-- this age-- as somehow different than the last. I never did feel different, though. That was until one day I woke up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night at 24 and had the epiphany that "HOLY CRAP! I'M A GROWN UP!" I have this strange prophetic feeling that 2009 is going to be that way. I don't feel any different on this day, the second of January in 2009. But somehow I know that I'll wake up one night in July in a cold sweat in the middle of the night with the realization that "HOLY CRAP! IT'S HALFWAY THROUGH 2009 AND YOU'VE BEEN SLEEPWALKING FOR SEVEN MONTHS!"

Let's hope for everyone's sake that none of us phone it in for 2009. I don't believe in resolutions, but I am going to try to be a better friend, blogger, and build up a savings account that doesn't look like it belongs to a four-year-old. Come to think of it, I think that my savings account was probably more impressive when I was four because my parents controlled it.

What do you feel is on the horizon for 2009?

1 comment:

rachaelgking said...

Saving money would be ideal... but I don't wanna!

Well, I mean, I do... but not at the cost of not having fun... yeesh. Being a grown up blows.