Monday, September 8, 2008

The case of the mystery flower bandit


When I walked into work this morning, there was a vase of lillies, carnations, and baby's breath in a vase sitting outside of my closed office door. A few minutes later, upon walking around to the rest of the office, it came to me that all of the women in our office were given similar vases as well. No one who works in the office daily fessed up to giving us the flowers.

We all sat around speculating as to who they could possibly have come from. The only conclusion that we collectively came to was that they were from was a former employee who used to give people flowers from her garden unsolicited. She was a sweet woman, but a little... off. She left a few weeks ago, and we haven't really heard from her since.

Finally, one of my co-workers sent this e-mail out over the server:
Good morning everyone, I hope you all had a wonderful weekend.

This morning when we arrived at work, all of the ladies of [company name redacted because I don't want any crazies showing up and knocking down my office door] found beautiful flowers placed on their desk or in front of their office door.

We haven’t determined who the kind person is that decided to brighten up our morning with the flowers, so this email is a big THANK YOU to that person!

If you would like to come forward, that would be great to thank you in person. If not, just know it was a kind and surprising gesture!

Thank you.

She's a lot more diplomatic than I, because my interoffice e-mail would've looked a little like this:

To everyone--

WHERE DID THE FLOWERS COME FROM?! AT LEAST LEAVE A CARD SO THAT WE DON'T THINK WE'RE GETTING STALKED!

If it did come from one of you, though... um... thanks!

Love,

Downbeats

Once the e-mail went out, I almost instantaneously got a phone call from my direct supervisor (who ironically enough works remotely from home) inquiring about the flowers. She didn't know anything about it either, but suggested that it might be the owner or COO of our company. Once I put the bug in her mind that it might be this former employee, she started getting creeped out, too. I promised her I'd call as soon as we got to the bottom of it. Still, no one has come forward.

At any rate, I got the biggest bouqet of flowers, so I'll get shanked first if it really is a crazy nutjob.

7 comments:

P said...

They're really very nice flowers though - I wouldn't worry too much about it! :) Keep us updated if you find out who it is though!

M360 said...

It was me. Sorry I didnt leave a card... Oops... my bad. Hope you enjoy the flowers as I stare at you through the bushes.

hahahahahahaha!

Ok... that wasn't even funny. Sorry. LOL. But I really hope you guys get to the bottom of this... in the mean time... beware of your surroundings as you leave work.

E.Rae said...

wow, I can't decide if this is lovely or creepy. How strange that no-one would own up! If I gave flowers to everyone I would be bursting to tell someone.
Hope you find out who it was because even though I have no idea who anyone in your office is I now want to know!

Anonymous said...

Eek! At least they're really pretty?

Pretty Unfamous said...

Wow, no matter who the flowers are from, I think that's pretty awesome that they were sent mysteriously to so many people. I know it brightened everyone's day.

thatShortchick said...

consider yourself very lucky that someone out there is very appreciative of what you've been doing or just thinks that you are awesome. or Both.

Anonymous said...

Ooo kind of creepy, but at least it was something pretty!