Thursday, September 18, 2008

Wino... Thursday?

Ladies and gentlemen, first a note from your editor...

...yeah, at least I'm making an effort. This is the first time that I've attempted to blog on a regular basis while I'm knee-deep in a production. It would be simpler if I just showed up to rehearsal and played the piano and taught people to sing. It would be simpler if I didn't have a full time job during the day. It would be simpler if I didn't have house guests this week. Alas, none of these happens to be the state of my affairs, so you're getting Wino Wednesday a day late. Please accept my humblest of apologies.

And now, on to the libations....


Wherein I pretend to know something about wine to justify my affinity for all things alcoholic


Sometimes I like wines that aren't made from grapes at all. A few years ago, I didn't even know that such a thing existed. Last Autumn, though, I was shopping for wine to bring to a soirée at the Maestro's house and happened completely accidentally across a bottle of Proshyan's Pomegranate Wine. It looked interesting, and it wasn't too expensive, so I picked it up. I figured that if it was half as good as the pomegranate juice you can get in grocery stores, that it wouldn't be a complete wash. The bottle boasts that it's a "semi-sweet red wine," so I really didn't know what to expect. When I got to the party, some of the other guests were intrigued, too, a friend convinced me to crack it open first. Let's just say that I should've bought at least two or three bottles for this crowd. We went through that bottle like someone was paying us to.

The wine definitely smells and tastes like fruit, but not like juice. It's smooth on the tongue, but not overly sweet or syrup-y. It's enough like a traditional wine that it's equally appropriate for pre-dinner cocktails, table wine, or a post-dinner treat. I recently picked up a bottle on my way to O's house in DC. They're the folks who introduced me to Ravenswood Zinfandel, so I wasn't sure if they'd think that the bottle screaming "POMEGRANATE" was too unrefined for their discerning palates. When we cracked the bottle open, however, O gave a resounding "MMMMMMMMM!!!!!!" after her first sip. And Troy, by no means a wine drinker, practically had the whole bottle to himself.



Proshyan's Pomegranate wine is a product of Armenia, but you can buy it pretty easily state-side (at least in Maryland, I've seen it in most wine shops... and I go to a lot of wine shops), but you can buy it online too right here. It reminds me of Autumn, and I'm a seasonally-minded person, so I don't really bring it out until September. They do, however, have a white pomegranate wine, too, that's supposedly not as "juicy" as white zinfandel. It can be served chilled. I haven't tried it, but if that's your thing, I would recommend it just based on the red version.

I hope you're enjoying whatever it is that you're sipping on these days!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some of my favorite wines come from other fruits-- blackberry and raspberry wine? DELICIOUS.

I'll have to check out pomegranate.

Anonymous said...

I'm intrigued! I love wine and had no idea it could be made from anything other than grapes. I think I'm going to have to buy a bottle and check it out!

Lorrie Veasey said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. delicious post.

rachaelgking said...

That stuff's awesome- also, I don't know if you've had it, but they make unfiltered sparkling apple cider (think champagne) and it is basically crack. But don't smoke it. Ideal for 20 somethings who want to pretend they're not quite as alcoholic as they were in college. Perfection!

You can probably find it at any decent wine store, and also here: http://www.cidery.com/bhc_order.taf?_function=view&ct_id=1

E.Rae said...

I had no idea you could get wine from anything but a grape. Must go try some!
Made me think about that raspberry beer you talked about before. Did you get a name for it?
And did you find out where the flowers came from?
My goodness I love a good cliffhanger!