Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Wino Wednesday


Wherein I pretend to know something about wine to justify my affinity for all things alcoholic


As I mentioned earlier, I spent this Labor Day weekend preparing for and attending my final summer wedding of 2008. I managed to not jump off a bridge, so I'm pretty sure I'll make it through the winter now as long as no one else decides to get married between now and, say, June 2009. When the bride and groom return from their honeymoon in the happiest place on Earth(TM), they will be relocating to Southern Pines, North Carolina, where the groom recently took a new job. For their thank you gifts at the rehearsal dinner, they presented their wedding party and family with, among other things, some Carolina-indigenous libations. The Maestro played the music for the ceremony, and I coordinated the wedding, so the bride and groom were generous and threw us some bottles as well.

The poison this week? Pink Magnolia from Duplin Winery. Now, I'll tell you-- I don't generally drink anything pink. No white zinfandels or merlots, no French martinis or sex-on-the-beaches. I'm a red wine, craft beer, and Scotch-drinking lady. I've made fun of my own mother for drinking pink wine. A gift is a gift, though, and I had to imbibe. Let me tell you, the stuff is not half bad. If you buy straight from the winery, it's $7.49 a bottle, and you don't even feel like you're drinking Boone's Farm. This wine is sweet, with lots of berry overtones, but it lacks that acrid after taste that a lot of rose wines tend to have. Chilled, it's a really nice wine to sip on a hazy summer night. This self-professed unknowledgeable wine snob even recommends it if you're looking to try something that's not too wine-y or if you're entertaining guests who drink the pink.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OOooh...now I crave grapes. And wine...