Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Wino Wednesdays

I decided that I wanted to do a weekly special of some sort. What to write about, though? That was a challenge as my life pretty much looks like this:

1. Wake
2. Work
3. Drive
4. Theatre
5. Dinner
6. Home
7. Rinse, Wash, Sleep. Repeat

Aside from working and theatre-ing, I eat and drink. The name is sort of a misnomer as I'm not just a wino. I like wine. I like beer. I like Scotch, Bourbon, Vodka, and the occasional rum drink in hot weather. Yes, basically what I'm saying is that I don't discriminate. That last point is probably to a fault.

One day when I have more time (when will that be, by the way? perhaps when I'm dead), I would love to take a wine class in the hopes of developing some sort of discerning taste. In the meantime, I like what I like and I try not to drink crap. In other words, you won't see me reviewing Beringer White Zinfandel any time soon.

--

I was first introduced to Ravenswood Vintners Blend at O's house. She and her husband buy it by the case and offer copious amounts of it to guests. I stopped ordering white wine a few years ago and drink almost exclusively red (save for the occasional Moscato or Riesling). I've never seen Sideways, but I do know that I can't stand Merlot. I started with Cabernet Sauvingons, but they're a little heavy if you're not eating anything (and while I enjoy wine with dinner, I also enjoy it without). The natural progression (for me, at least) was to Zinfandel. A glass of this will give you a mouth full of flavor without being too dry or too sweet. According to their website (and according to what I hear from people who know better than I do), it's an extremely well-crafted wine as well. My favorite part (aside from the whole wine part) is the price point. A bottle of this bad boy will only set you back about $10-$12 depending on where you pick it up, so it's great to have at home for dinner or to take over to a friend's for a hostess gift. Give it a try and let me know what you think. And if you have any beverages to suggest (not just wine... cocktail receipes, craft beers, etc.), please give me a heads up! downbeatblog AT gmail DOT com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to take classes on wine and become a connoisseur. Until then, I think I'm just called a wino. :)

rachaelgking said...

I adore Ravenswood red zin, especially for the price, as you said. If you like spicy reds like zinfandels, you should try a montepulciano (in the Italian section). I haven't found one yet I didn't like...