Saturday, July 12, 2008

More goals

The fire has been lit under my feet. I'm still on this kick where I'm making some changes in my life for the better. Next up: to live a less cluttered life. I really do get consumed with work. By the time I get home in the middle of the night, I'm too exhausted to do anything other than crawl into bed. And since I started permanently living alone last October, my condo has simply fallen into a ridiculous state of disarray. It has always been a battle for me to keep my room clean. One of my first memories is of my father, fed up with the sad state of my bedroom circa age 4, banishing me to the dining room while he took on my bedroom with a trash bag and vacuum cleaner. My room isn't much better two decades later, but at least the common areas in my place are passable. I still don't vacuum enough.

The fact of the matter is simply that I haven't really taken ownership of my place even though I moved in three years ago. I don't entertain company Chez Downbeats, and now that I live alone, I've had little motivation to make my place "homey." Madre Downbeats and my Nana are up from Florida and staying with me for a little bit right now. When my mother called me the other day to let me know that she had arrived safely and that I had left some frozen calzones out on the counter, my stomach started doing flip flops at the notion of my mother even coming close to opening my bedroom door.

That was the last straw. I have decided that the next time that my mother comes into town, I would like for her to be able to say, "Wow, the place looks great" instead of having to bite her tongue. How am I going to find the time? I have no clue... spend more time at home? In between production of Tommy an A Chorus Line, hopefully I'll get all of my boxes unpacked, my room cleaned and organized, and the place decorated. Stuff at the windows, etc. And when it all gets done, I'm going to throw a bangin' cocktail party.

Got any tips for cleaning up/decorating? Bring them on!

1 comment:

Noel said...

I had to move into my new place recently and it took me about 2.5 weeks to unpack and decorate. It's almost done, but it's close enough.

1. Purge everything you don't need. There's a show that tells you to separate things into three piles: keep, trash, and maybe.

After one sort through, then you do it again one more time.

2. If you are redecorating, figure out your style. This way you don't add to clutter and mismatching. Look at what you like to keep and what you hold important.
Look at colors, wood types, metal finishes and textures.

3. Do a little every night. Like don't go to bed until you finish dusting. Or don't brush your teeth until you finish fixing the bed.

4. And also HGTV is your friend.

Hope it helps!