Thursday, July 10, 2008

Making some changes

I'm not a New Years resolution kinda gal. I get the point, but how effective are they really? Occasionally someone actually quits smoking or goes to the gym a little more for a few weeks, but generally these good intentions fizzle out into a cloud of disappointment, defeat, and self-deprecation. Also, I don't particularly believe that one should wait until a particular date to make needed changes in their lives. If you want to make change, start NOW!

So at any rate, all that said, I was inspired by this little thing that this cool chick named Amy is doing over at her equally cool website, Rocketwife. She made a list of 101 goals she wants to accomplish in 1001 days. She put them all up on her website, and she's kicking butt and taking names while she crosses each one of them out.

See, that's very industrious of her. I'm inspired, but not enough to make a list of 101 things. I can barely tie my shoes in the morning. I'm all about acknowledging some goals that I need to set and documenting the act of holding myself accountable, however. And that's exactly what I intend to do on this here little patch of the blogosphere (I kind of hate that word, but it captures the essence of geography that I'm trying to convey).

So first goal: to familiarize myself with two new shows a month for a year. It's not particularly a secret that I'm a bad musical theatre artist. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until that statement becomes a false one. There are a few different ways one can introduce themselves to new work:

*Performing/producing a show
*Going to see a live performance
*Buying the soundtrack


I music direct between 3 and 5 shows in a year (by year's end I will have music directed 4 shows... hopefully I'll pick up the pace again in 2009), and sometimes those are shows with which I'm already familiar. Needless to say, I'm not going to learn 24 new (to me) shows by June of 2009 just by showing up to rehearsal. And I often don't have the time to see even most of the stuff out there in live performance. That means I'm going to have to start building up my iTunes library with some musical theatre.

I've already started! A friend of mine told me about a year ago how much I would love this piece comprised of four people, four stools, and a piano called [Title of Show]. I kind of dismissed it, until a few days ago after I had seen enough e-mails pop into my inbox about this piece that my curiosity was whetted. And I did just see Candide the other day, so by all accounts I appear to be on track. As far as [...Show] is concerned, I'll let you know what I think... and keep you updated on my quest to become a more knowledgeable musical theatre artist.

And please, feel free... indebted... whatever... to send me suggestions if you see/hear of shows you think I should know about.

E-mail me at underwood.tiffany [at] gmail [dot] com.

9 comments:

Miss Musical said...

Have you seen the [title of show] show? There's a link on the [tos] blog. It's so wonderful & time consuming! I think you'll really dig it!

Miss Musical said...

Have you seen the [title of show] show? There's a link on the [tos] blog. It's so wonderful & time consuming! I think you'll really dig it!

Downbeat said...

I haven't...but I'm on it right now. Thanks for the tip. Can't wait!

BloodRedRoses said...

I def don't make any new years resolutions either because, just like you said, I break them three weeks later! So there's no point really.

I do like the idea of making a list of things you want to do though, you can really explore your dreams and goals that way! Good luck with yours!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment!

I admire you for your dual-life where you still get to work in the field that you love! I was such a theatre geek in high school but I just didn't have time to continue that in college, and sometimes it's really depressing.

Good luck on your musical theatre quest! I can totally relate, since when I was that theatre geek, I was pretty clueless about shows that I wasn't teching...

Miss Musical said...

[tos] is playing at the Lyceum theatre. They have tix for $26.50. You're in the nose bleed section - but it's still great! Enjoy!

Miss Musical said...

[tos] is playing at the Lyceum theatre. They have tix for $26.50. You're in the nose bleed section - but it's still great! Enjoy!

Daszzle said...

I've only seen a few on Broadway but my favorites are Avenue Q (Love the English Major jokes!), Hairspray (my absolute fave), and Mamma Mia (the movies coming out soon). You'll have to let me know what you faves end up being. I love musicals ;). Ooh and Music Man is a good old school show.

your invisible pixie said...

I'm going to suggest you check out "I Love You Because". I just heard about it last semester at school, and I'm a little obsessed with it now. It's pretty funny.