Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Another weekend, another New England wedding

I'm finally starting to feel like "normal" again. The weekend was a whirlwind, and I hoped to share it earlier, but felt like I'd been hit by a Mack truck until about two seconds ago. So now, for the nuptial roundup. Look for another one this time next week (yes, everyone and their mother is getting married this summer... save for me and Troy).

Getting to this wedding was especially hectic because the Maestro had just returned from a two-week tour of New England and Nova Scotia the night before. I am in the midst of a show. I had a show on Friday night, and he had a concert. We both climbed into our respective beds on opposite sides of the city around midnight and said goodnight.

Fast foward to three hours later. My alarm went off at 3:00 am. I wanted to die. I threw some clothes on, packed breakfast for the Maestro and myself, tore my room apart looking for a necklace that I know I saw a week or two ago when I was cleaning my room, failed to find said necklace and ran out of the door, dress and party shoes in hand.


These shoes are always a conversation piece. And best worn to events where I don't have to stand for longer than 7 minutes at a clip.


I got to the Maestro's house around 4, we transferred all of my stuff to his car, climbed in, and were ready to go.

Except his car wouldn't start. (Funny thing about being on tour for two weeks with no one to start your car... oh well, you live and learn.)

So then we had to re-transfer all our stuff back to my car and get ready to roll. Why were we up at such an un-Godly hour, you may be asking yourself right now? Well, our dear, dear friends decided to have a 10 am wedding mass. In Connecticut. Which, for those of you who didn't do well in geography, is super far away from Baltimore. As both of us had performances on Friday night, we couldn't leave until at least midnight. Rather than driving through the night and still having to pay for a hotel room, we decided (however wisely or unwisely as the case may be) that we would leave super early in the morning and get there right on time.

Well, we would've gotten there right on time had we left at 4 as originally planned. With all of the nutty car complications, we didn't get on the road until almost 4:45. And not anticipating having to drive the 366 miles from East Baltimore to Bristol, Connecticut, I hadn't filled up my tank. The Maestro drives like a bat out of you-know-where, so we decided that he would drive. If I would've driven, we never would've made the ceremony.

We did much better at staying awake once we had some coffee in our system and the sun rose. We got a little turned around on the Jersey Turnpike and hit awful traffic around 8 am in NYC, but other than that, made pretty fantastic time, all things considered. We stopped once for gas and coffee, once to relieve our tiny bladders, and once at a McDonalds off the highway to change into our wedding clothes (talk about awkward glances on that one). Once we got in Connecticut, the drive was especially scenic.



We got to the (beautiful) church about 15 minutes into the service. The Maestro assured me we didn't miss much. It was a lovely, personalized, and meaningful service. And for anyone who cares, the bridesmaids wore midnight blue, strapless, tea-length dresses and silver shoes.

The reception was at the picturesque Farmington Club. I thought it looked like a plantation. The Maestro told me not to worry as we were in Connecticut. You judge for yourself.



The wedding was fun. I've found that, more often than not, they are. We were afraid that we wouldn't know anyone there, and most of the crowd was older. But they sat us at a table with two other friends (of the Maestro) from Maryland and some young-ish teachers from DC. We all had enough in common despite the fact that many of us didn't know each other to make it work. The groom picked the music, and he did a great job of balancing older, classic hits to transcend the major generation gap that was going on amongst their guests.

The bride and groom sat at their own smaller table in lieu of a head table, a trend I'm seeing more of recently, and which I appreciate. It gets annoying going to weddings as the date of someone who's in the wedding party and sitting at some random cast off table with people you don't know. To ensure that they went around to every table to visit with their guests, they brought a tray of homemade cookies and offered them to each table with dessert while they were visiting.



The groom's godmother baked the cookies and the wedding cake, which was carrot cake, which was amazingly delicious.



All in all, we had a great time. The one upside to having such an early wedding is that we got out in plenty of time to drive to our next destination by the light of day. Here we are with our Maryland friends.



I'll save the rest of our excursion for a later post as there's oh-so-much to tell. Meanwhile, I've got to find a new dress for summer wedding number 3 coming up this Sunday.

1 comment:

BloodRedRoses said...

weddings are always wicked fun, I also feel like everyone I know is tying the knot.

LOVE the shoes!