Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A different spin on the obligatory Dark Knight post

I tried to see Dark Knight on Saturday. Troy called me as I was pulling into the parking garage to inform me that we'd just be getting lunch as every show from now until kingdom come was sold out and we had theatres to get to and shows to put on later in the evening. As we lunched at my new favorite Whole Foods in the whole entire world, I remarked that I thought that all of the die hards that wanted to see the movie would have already seen it by now.

We made plans to see it on Monday after the hubbub of our opening weekends had died down.

Fast forward to today on Facebook. I'm kind of digging on my house right now. I got a big project from my boss at work. All I wanted to do was put in an extra hour or two at work, go to the gym, and come home and relax on my well-vacuumed carpet. I tried to wuss out. Troy told me I sucked.

Peer pressure's a mother father.

He suggested buying tickets online. Good thing he did. By 6:45 (on a freakin' MONDAY, people!), the 7 pm show at Landmark was sold out. That's not the only thing that was sold out. We stood in the concession line for about 12 minutes, and by the time we got to the register, they'd sold out of bottles of water.

Who. Sells. Out. Of. Bottles. Of. Water.

....?

Right, moving on. So by the time we got into the actual theatre, there (OF COURSE) was nothing together except for the very first row. The last movie I saw in the front row was Blair Witch Project. I don't think I've recovered since.

Yes. Heath Ledger was amazing. Blah blah blah.

You know what wasn't amazing? The fact that about T - 45 minutes from the end, I turned to Troy and said: "I really want for this movie to be over by now." He shared my sentiments. Clearly $155 million in one weekend wasn't enough. These greedy Dark Knight movie execs clearly want to make an entire country's worth of money. At the expense of my poor little dehydrated, motion sick, slap-happy, fidgety body.

That said, the movie was pretty good. Not that I have good taste in movies. Nor do I see that many of them. Still...

2 comments:

BloodRedRoses said...

I completly agree with you... I think the whole 2-face thing totally could have been set up as a plot for the next movie.

obviously they're making another movie. Why cram so much into this one??

Pretty Unfamous said...

Ha. I'm thinking the movie will be sold out for the next couple of weekends. I'm lucky I got my ticket at 10:15 for a 10:30 show on Sunday night. I had to sit in the second-to-front row with my friends, and the show STILL sold out.