Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Wino Wednesday


Wherein I pretend to know something about wine to justify my affinity for all things alcoholic


A few years ago, I moved to the west side of town which (among other things) is known for having a fairly prolific Jewish community. Then, I started working at a company with a few Orthodox Jews and got introduced to Kosher pizza, donuts, and even Chinese food. My next-door-office-neighbor shares my fondness for alcohol and taught me early on that most liquor is already Kosher. Wine, on the other hand, is not automatically Kosher for whatever reason (don't ask me why, I don't know... and he wouldn't know either because he knows very little about being Jewish).

Since I live in such a Hebrew-heavy neighborhood, my local wine shop actually features a Kosher wine section. Much to my surprise, it wasn't filled with Manischewitz. This shop (one of my favorites) has free wine tastings on Saturdays throughout the year and offered this delicious moscato awhile back. I tried it, loved it, and served it at the most recent work party I hosted at home.

It's a little sweet, but that's how I like my white wines. If you're looking for a yummy dessert wine, definitely try Golan Moscato. In addition to being delicious (and better than cake), you can also tell your guests that it's made in Galilee. I don't know why, but I feel like it makes me sound intelligent when I drop that fact as I'm serving.

2 comments:

L.C.T. said...

Ooh thanks for the tip. I went wine tasting in South Africa a few weeks ago. Great fun!

Unknown said...

umm....i've been to this winery!