Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Wino Wednesday


Wherein I pretend to know something about wine to justify my affinity for all things alcoholic


My friend Jennie came over last week so that we could run through some of the songs in her book before she starts auditioning again. She came bearing the best gifts you can possibly bear if you want me to listen to you sing: wine and carrot cake cupcakes.

Apparently, she read my inaugural Wino Wednesday post after she bought this wine and came with apologies because it was a bottle of Circles Edge 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon. My response to her was, "Pish posh! Wine is wine. The sooner you sing, the sooner we drink!" She sang, we drank, I was thoroughly impressed. Jennie just recently started working at a wine-centric restaurant in Columbia (our childhood stomping ground), and so she got this wine highly recommended and at a highly discounted price.

My first reaction was that it was delicious. Very light (almost summery for a red wine), and a perfect pairing with the carrot cake cupcakes. The glass would've also been perfect paired with fresh mozzarella and vine-ripened tomatoes. The glass also would've been perfect paired with oxygen and the sound of my own voice. It didn't have too bold a flavor, and didn't give me one iota of cotton-mouth-ness after a glass.

Jennie and I started a little late, so we didn't finish the bottle of Cabernet. I didn't want it to go to waste, don't believe in drinking alone unless it's in my bathtub, and knew I wouldn't finish it since I was going out of town, so I brought the rest of the bottle to theatre with me on Saturday (my last night for this run). After O gave her curtain speech and the show was underway (I didn't conduct this show... long story, you might read why in a future post, but you probably won't), I topped off two plastic wine cups that I'd snagged from concessions and we toasted to the end of this show.

Her first reaction was, "Mmmmmm... [lip smack] SMOOOOOOOOOOOOTH!"

My sentiments exactly.

And would you like to know the absolute coolest thing about Circles Edge wines right now? They're on some crazy online sale. Sadly for me, they don't ship to Maryland, Delaware, or Pennsylvania. But if you live in Virginia or other places close by that aren't Baltimore or DC, get any of the Circles Edge 2005 vintage series (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, or Chardonnay) for $2.50. Yeah, no... I didn't misplace the decimal. That's two dollars and fifty cents. Head on over to the Circles Edge online store and share in my bliss.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ughh! They don't ship to WV. How depressing :-( But that's an awesome deal!

Anonymous said...

What does "summery" even mean?